The Mayor of London is offering a scrappage grant to help drivers in London prepare for the upcoming ULEZ expansion, which is due to be going live on 29 August 2023.
We’ve put together some information to help you work out if you’re eligible for the TfL scrappage scheme 2023.
Who is eligible for the TfL Scrappage Scheme 2023?
1. Your vehicle you want to scrap must not meet the current ULEZ emission standard (i.e., it’s a vehicle you would need to pay the ULEZ charge for)
2. The registered keep of the vehicle can be you or someone who lives with you.
3. You must live within one of the 33 London boroughs
Here is a list of the 33 London Boroughs
- City of London
- City of Westminster
- Kensington & Chelsea
- Hammersmith & Fulham
- Tower Hamlets
- Richmond upon Thames
- Kingston upon Thames
- Barking & Dagenham
- Waltham Forest
a. Universal Credit
b. Armed Forces Independence Payment
c. Attendance Allowance
d. Carer’s Allowance
e. Child Tax Credit
f. Constant Attendance Allowance
g. Disability Living Allowance
h. Employment and Support Allowance
i. Housing Benefit
j. Income Support
k. Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
l. Jobseeker’s Allowance
m. Pension Credit
n. Personal Independence Payment
o. Severe Disablement Allowance
p. War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
q. Working Tax Credit
The number of Private Hire Vehicle 🚗 Licences from previous years are below:
There has been an increase in private hire vehicle licenses since 2021, this could be due to the new electric vehicle requirement 2023. Drivers have licensed their existing vehicles early to avoid the new rule which only allow zero emission capable vehicles to be licensed by TfL for private hire purposes.
How much does TfL pay for scrapping vehicle?
Scrap a Car
Scrap a Motorcycle
Scrap a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle
Scrap a Car = £1,600 + 1 Adult Annual Bus & Tram Pass
Scrap a Car = £1,200 + 2 Adult Annual Bus & Tram Pass
Scrap a Motorcycle = £600 + 1 Adult Bus & Tram Pass
Scrap a Motorcycle = £200 + 2 Adult Bus & Tram Pass
Retrofit a wheelchair accessible van only = £5,000
This is when you make changes to the vehicle for it to meet the emission standard required to be ULEZ compliant. You can find companies online that offer this option.
Cars, Vans or Motorcycles that do not currently meet the emission standards set by TfL for the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).
How do I apply for TfL scrappage scheme?
You first need to create a London Road user charging account by going to the TfL website. Here is the link to the RUC section.
Make sure you register it in the name of the person who is receiving benefits and the address matches the proof of benefit you intend to send.
You will also need a valid email address. Make sure you have all your documents ready. The form should take around 30 minutes to complete.
The documents required for TfL scrappage scheme 2023
- Recent benefit award letter (not more than 12 months old) or Universal Credit Statement
- If your benefit proof doesn’t have your address, then you will need to send a copy of your driving licence or bank statement/utility bill dated within the last 3 months.
- Photo ID, which can be your Passport or Driving Licence.
- V5C Logbook
- Valid vehicle insurance certificate
Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles need to send extra proof:
- If you are scrapping a wheelchair accessible vehicle, you will need to send one image of the vehicles permanent conversion for wheelchair access and one image of the wheelchair securing system
- If the vehicle is adapted to enable use by wheelchair user, then 2 images of the swivel seat, one facing forwards and one sideways or 2 images of the hydraulic or electronic hoist system. One of it permanently attached to the vehicle and one of it installed in the vehicle.
Once you’ve completed your application and TfL has accepted (which can take up to 10 working days), you will then need to book an appointment at an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) within 1 month. The ATF will scrap your vehicle and provide you with a Certificate of Destruction. You will need to submit evidence of scrap or retrofit to TfL and then the grant payment will be sent to you via a cheque. The cheque will be sent to the address on your application.