TfL ULEZ Scrappage Scheme 2023

by | Jan 30, 2023 | PCO Driver News

Update 01/06/2023: Sadiq Khan has announced an expansion to the current scrappage scheme.  It will soon include the option for people who receive Child Benefits and Small Businesses in London.  Anyone who falls in to the new categories will be able to apply for the ULEZ scrappage scheme from end of July 2023.  We will update the specifics once TfL has shared the information.

The Mayor of London is offering a scrappage grant to help drivers in London prepare for the upcoming ULEZ expansion, which is due to be going live on 29 August 2023.

We’ve put together some information to help you work out if you’re eligible for the TfL scrappage scheme 2023.

Who is eligible for the TfL Scrappage Scheme 2023?
1. Your vehicle you want to scrap must not meet the current ULEZ emission standard (i.e., it’s a vehicle you would need to pay the ULEZ charge for)
2. The registered keep of the vehicle can be you or someone who lives with you.
3. You must live within one of the 33 London boroughs

Here is a list of the 33 London Boroughs
  1. City of London
  2. City of Westminster
  3. Kensington & Chelsea
  4. Hammersmith & Fulham
  5. Wandsworth
  6. Lambeth
  7. Southwark
  8. Tower Hamlets
  9. Hackney
  10. Islington
  11. Camden
  12. Brent
  13. Ealing
  14. Hounslow
  15. Richmond upon Thames
  16. Kingston upon Thames
  17. Merton
  18. Sutton
  19. Croydon
  20. Bromley
  21. Lewisham
  22. Greenwich
  23. Bexley
  24. Havering
  25. Barking & Dagenham
  26. Redbridge
  27. Newham
  28. Waltham Forest
  29. Haringey
  30. Enfield
  31. Brent
  32. Harrow
  33. Hillingdon
4. You must be receiving one or more of the following benefits.
a. Universal Credit
b. Armed Forces Independence Payment
c. Attendance Allowance
d. Carer’s Allowance
e. Child Tax Credit
f. Constant Attendance Allowance
g. Disability Living Allowance
h. Employment and Support Allowance
i. Housing Benefit
j. Income Support
k. Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
l. Jobseeker’s Allowance
m. Pension Credit
n. Personal Independence Payment
o. Severe Disablement Allowance
p. War Pensioner’s Mobility Supplement
q. Working Tax Credit

The number of Private Hire Vehicle 🚗 Licences from previous years are below:

There has been an increase in private hire vehicle licenses since 2021, this could be due to the new electric vehicle requirement 2023. Drivers have licensed their existing vehicles early to avoid the new rule which only allow zero emission capable vehicles to be licensed by TfL for private hire purposes.

How much does TfL pay for scrapping vehicle?

Scrap a Car


Scrap a Motorcycle


Scrap a Wheelchair Accessible Vehicle


Other options

Scrap a Car = £1,600 + 1 Adult Annual Bus & Tram Pass

Scrap a Car = £1,200 + 2 Adult Annual Bus & Tram Pass

Scrap a Motorcycle = £600 + 1 Adult Bus & Tram Pass

Scrap a Motorcycle = £200 + 2 Adult Bus & Tram Pass

Retrofit a wheelchair accessible van only = £5,000

What does Retrofit mean?
This is when you make changes to the vehicle for it to meet the emission standard required to be ULEZ compliant. You can find companies online that offer this option.
What vehicles are allowed on TfL scrappage scheme 2023?
Cars, Vans or Motorcycles that do not currently meet the emission standards set by TfL for the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).

How do I apply for TfL scrappage scheme?
You first need to create a London Road user charging account by going to the TfL website. Here is the link to the RUC section.

Make sure you register it in the name of the person who is receiving benefits and the address matches the proof of benefit you intend to send.
You will also need a valid email address. Make sure you have all your documents ready. The form should take around 30 minutes to complete.

The documents required for TfL scrappage scheme 2023

  1. Recent benefit award letter (not more than 12 months old) or Universal Credit Statement
  2. If your benefit proof doesn’t have your address, then you will need to send a copy of your driving licence or bank statement/utility bill dated within the last 3 months.
  3. Photo ID, which can be your Passport or Driving Licence.
  4. V5C Logbook
  5. Valid vehicle insurance certificate


Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles need to send extra proof:

  1. If you are scrapping a wheelchair accessible vehicle, you will need to send one image of the vehicles permanent conversion for wheelchair access and one image of the wheelchair securing system
  2. If the vehicle is adapted to enable use by wheelchair user, then 2 images of the swivel seat, one facing forwards and one sideways or 2 images of the hydraulic or electronic hoist system. One of it permanently attached to the vehicle and one of it installed in the vehicle.


Once you’ve completed your application and TfL has accepted (which can take up to 10 working days), you will then need to book an appointment at an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) within 1 month.  The ATF will scrap your vehicle and provide you with a Certificate of Destruction. You will need to submit evidence of scrap or retrofit to TfL and then the grant payment will be sent to you via a cheque. The cheque will be sent to the address on your application.

Here is a list of Authorised Treatment Facilities


Similar Posts

PHV Drivers to pay VAT?

PHV Drivers to pay VAT?

Consultation: VAT Treatment of Private Hire Vehicles What the Latest Consultation Means for PHV Drivers. The recent consultation on VAT treatment for Private Hire Vehicles (PHVs) marks a significant turning point for drivers across the UK. This consultation, stemming...

Reschedule SERU assessment

Reschedule SERU assessment

As a private hire driver in London who needs to take their SERU assessment, you will be aware that you cannot simply book your SERU assessment appointment by contacting TfL.  You must wait to be invited to take the SERU assessment.  This can of course create the...

“Mandatory” Fitness Test for Older Drivers

“Mandatory” Fitness Test for Older Drivers

On top of the existing rules and new rules faced by London Private Hire Drivers, who already have to pass a medical test, a topographical skills assessment, an English-speaking test as well as their SERU assessment.  As well as new rules such as the DBS update scheme....